The Art of Pizza
Recently I have started making my own pizza's. I am a pizza lover, and I certainly enjoy going out to eat a good pizza. For a while, I even enjoyed trying different frozen pizza's. However, the frozen pizza is packed with preservatives, and all too often it is hard to have just the right toppings.
I have done my best to regularly format my pizza reviews and recipes data. Perhaps it will be worth formatting this page more regularly so you can scrape the data and build an app!
- Using a little bit of olive oil on the edge of the crusts can make the crusts nice and crispy
- If one cannot afford a pizza stone, or is worried it will break then a pizza screen is pretty good.
- Sprinkling a little shredded cheese on the crust can be a nice touch for cheese lovers
Favorite Pizza Toppings and combinations
- Pepperoni and banana peppers
- Pepporoni and Mushrooms
Frozen Pizza Reviews (Ranked top to bottom of my favorite)
- Newmans - From Paul Newman's foundation, it has just the right crust thickness for a thin crust pizza. I also appreciate the donations to charity.
- Uno's - The deep dish when done right, is delicous. Definitely bake it in the oven (30+ minutes) as per the directions in order to get the right pizza taste.
- Red Baron - Cheap and economical.
- California Pizza Kitchen - The sicilian style pizza is quite good.
- DiGiorno - It's a pretty good pizza when you are craving DiGiorno. I tend to cook it in a convection oven a few degrees cooloer and maybe 1-2 minutes less than instructed to get a more doughy crust. Occassionally I will add my own toppings as well.
- Toni's - Incredibly cheap pizza when you need a fix, I have seen it as low as $2.99
Pizza Places (Ranked in no particular order)
- Pinky's Pizza - Probably my favorite, the crust is just right. They put a little grate under the pizza so it does not taste like cardboard.
- Nick's House of Pizza - My second favorite. The owners are great, and the pepporni tastes excellent when eaten hot.
- Helen's Roast Beef - Quite good pizza and open late.
- Pini's Pizza - Big slices, almost New York style.
- Lisa's Pizza - I actually prefer the calzones to the pizza here. Avoid the super large pizza!
- Oath Pizza - Neat candy pizza. Personal sizes are good.
- Mike's Food and Spirits - This place has good pizza out in Davis Square. There individual slices were a good bargain last time I was there, and the atmosphere is nice outside in the summer.
- Posto - The pepperoni pizza here is very good. The crust is crisp
- Leone's Pizza and Subs - The sheet pizza is very delicious. I would recommend the half-sheet for four people. That is 8 big slices, and you can customize half and half on the pizza (although a little more expensive). This is still a favorite spot.
- Davis Square Pizza - I have only gotten this pizza delivered. Primarily because you could order individual slices with say--a salad? Or perhaps I just ordered lots of individual slices.
- Otto's Pizza - A Maine pizza place with locations in Massachusetts. Most notably Harvard Square where they have a great potato pizza. There is another Otto's in Arlington, MA that is near the movie theater where you can grab a quick slice. What makes this pizza good is the ultra thin crust and right blanace of cheese and toppings.
San Francisco, CA
- Regina's Pizza in the North End - Pretty good, but often a long wait.
- Antica Forno - pizza is delcious, and a great spot in the North end of Boston if you can get in when it is not crowded.
- Same Old Place -- I actually did not get to eat any pizza when ordered here. I ordered the pizza for the class, and the students ate it all which is probably a good enough testimony.
- Pachino Pizzeria - Excellent Sicilian style pizza. The Pepperoni had great cheese and the crust was very cripsy.
- Carmal Pizza - Good creative pizza's near the pier. Restaurant was the 'garden of eatin' which was cool, but there are going to be more bugs in this area if that bothers you. Pizza was still tasty!
- Pizza Hut - Go for the stuffed crust. Typically the pizza tastes a lot better when eaten at the actual restaurant. The buffet also was a good deal, though I have not been there recently.
- Papa John's - I actually like the small pizza. There seems to be a different composition to the cheese and tomato sauce ratio that makes this pizza taste good with the garlic sauce.
- Dominos - Every 6 orders you get a free pizza, not bad
- Little Caesars - The hot and ready out in Oregon was pretty satisfying if eaten immediately. I was doing so for a bargain price while a graduate student on occasion.
Please do not redistribute or host any materials without e-mailing me first. I generally am happy to share the latest .pdf or class presentation with those who ask. Thank you for your time!