Assignment 5 - Pilot User Study
In this assignment, you will perform a pilot user study using your paper prototype.
Pilot User Study
For this task, you are going to setup an experiment for which you are going to test your product.
- You will perform a discount usability test. You should have between 3-5 participants (That is, an N of 3-5 for your experiments).
- You should have a script that you will read to the user about the test. This should include information about the setup of the experiment (where it is taking place, what the conditions are, the duration, etc.).
- You should have a "mock consent form". For the purposes of this assignment however, you do not need to have participants sign anything. You will however anonymize their data.
- You should collect data about your participants (age, previous experience, etc, anything you have in your previous user analysis) in a pre or post survey.
- You will then have a task list that you give to users of tasks to complete. These could be from your paper prototype. Your tasks should ideally take no longer than 10 minutes total to complete. Your tasks may be shorter.
- Finally, you will have a post-questionnaire survey that you present to participants after the experiment. For the purpose of this test, this can be as few as 5 questions. You are welcome to add more questions as needed.
You will then perform the following analysis based on your results.
- Compute any summary statistics on the quantatative data collected from your questionnaire.
- Summarize any qualitative data colleted from your survey.
- Present the conclusions from your work in a table.
- What went well?
- What can be improved?
Change Log, Guidelines, and update
Provide a list of changes if you have made any. Also spend time updating your guidelines document from the previous assignment. If you have made any major changes in your assignment, include a brief paragraph or bulleted list as well.
Throughout your assignment, state any assumptions that you may have. In each catagory, the goal is that this is self-evident, but you may add additional information as you see fit.
Please use bulleted lists and tables where appropriate. Start to think of your deliverables as a blueprint, such that another team in the class could follow along with your project. Use pictures, video, and add elements as you see appropriate. Be sure to cite all references!
Grading Rubric and Submission
You will submit your homework as a pdf on Blackboard for the CS 5340 course. Please do not e-mail me your submission. You may use tools like Google Docs, Microsoft Word, or Libre Office to generate .pdf files for submission.
The following rubric will be used to evaluate your work:
- Pilot User Study: 40 points (Include blank copies of any surveys, questionnaires, mock forms, and scripts)
- Data Analysis: 40 points
- Did you anonymize your collected data(if yes then full credit): 10 points
- Creativity, Completeness, and presentation of study: 10 points